Beginner’s Enthusiasm.

Remember this from Friday?

I’ve come back to this photo MANY times … note 11 darks and 11 lights!

As y’all confirmed, Juliann’s suggestion was just the thing to get me started. Saturday morning, I ironed (and didn’t even mind it) and cut eight 4-1/2″ (ish) squares from each of those fat eighths.

“172 squares!”

Then Saturday afternoon I sewed and ironed some more – for way longer than this little spread might indicate.

I spent more time matching up the fabrics, penciling the stitching lines, sewing, and ironing on Tuesday

and Wednesday.

After yesterday’s session, I realized I’d somehow added one more piece of light and dark, but had forgotten one of my original darks … today I fixed it – and now I’m on track for 192 squares (8 squares each of 12 lights and 12 darks).

I think I can true these squares up to 4″ (for a finished 3-1/2″). My plan is to make the top 12 squares wide and 16 squares tall for an overall 42″x56″ quilt (without counting the binding).

I still have 40 squares to sew, and a whole top to layout and assemble (not to mention all the steps that come after that) … but I’m sure you’re not surprised that I’m already wondering what I might do with the leftover fat eighths!

Beginner’s enthusiasm is good energy for me right now!

Also, I spotted these words on the selvedge edge as I was ironing Saturday morningI knew this fabric collection spoke to me … and now I know why!

Happy Thursday!