I celebrated a birthday yesterday. quietly*. mostly at home with Marc and Holly. with a delicious dinner, a nice bottle of wine and a cranberry brown butter tart for dessert. and so many lovely wishes in texts, cards, FaceTimes and emails. all perfect. thank you.
It seems like these trips around the sun are getting shorter. I completely get how the experience of 1/58th of your life is way shorter than the experience of 1/6th (for Charlie) or even 1/29th (for Sara). But the days are all still 24 hours long and there will be an extra one this next year!
Envisioning myself writing a post like this next November 18, here a few things I want to make happen before I turn 58:
- Adopt a meaningful “looking back” practice that celebrates what’s good and helps me identify ways to accept or change what’s not.
- Strengthen relationships with my husband, family and friends.
- Take a trip to Great Britain (and maybe Europe?) with Marc.
- Read better.
- Explore spiritual practices to both ground and grow my faith.
- Re-fashion my wardrobe so it fits with my lifestyle (how I spend my time and where I live) and my coloring; plan my me-mades accordingly.
I haven’t made a list like this since my big Fifty for 50 (2012 seems like forever ago), and this one is only six things. Maybe 50-something has finally gotten focused! 366 days should be plenty, right?!
Here’s to a good week … and a(nother) good year!
*I hadn’t planned such a quiet celebration, but I was battling a nasty cold that unraveled plans to see Katie and boys and sapped my energy for just about anything other than napping, reading and knitting. I’m 99% my healthy self again today and glad to be back with y’all!