All this time at home has been good for many things, but I’m especially thankful for the push to get back into sewing. Ditto the internet for patterns and tutorials … and so many of you with experience for your encouragement and advice!
With four solid successes,
all of which include darts and facings, I decided I was ready to tackle the Uniform Tunic. I knew (thank you Kat and Kym) that the Uniform darts would require some adjustments. whoa. no kidding! The Uniform pattern is the one on the bottom. Next is the Esmé tunic (which I’m wearing in the bottom two photos above) and on top is the Willow Tank (which I’m wearing in the top two photos above). Those two tops fit great … and on both the darts end about 1-1/4″ below Uniform.
There are lots of tutorials for raising or lowering darts. I chose this one. Swedish tracing paper and washi tape made the whole “cut out and move” part really easy. The hardest part was “penciling in” the new side seam line.
Then I tested out the fit with some scrap fabric.
I think it works!
Now I’m excited to cut some real fabric and try out the rest of the pattern.
I’m also enjoying the new view from my sewing table. Katie helped me move it under the window and the light really is better there. The bookcase is also a lot more fun to look at than a door and a hallway.
Two nice reminders that sometimes simple changes can make a big difference!