I shared this selfie on Instagram Tuesday afternoon. My first Willow Tank turned out really well! I was definitely intimidated by the bias bindings and those 1/4″ seams. Turns out, I have a 1/4″ presser foot from my quilter-wanna-be days! Worked like a charm.
I was a little unsure about the fit at first – maybe it was big?. All the lovely sewists who share their projects on Instagram don’t really show much at all about fit (and let’s not even talk about how unhelpful the “garment on a hanger” or “garment on the floor with a pretty flower” photos are!) and most of the woven garments in my closet have sleeves or they’re oversized. But thanks to Sarah (one of Monday knitting group girls) and Michele (my neighbor, who sews) – I think it’s good!
So I was excited on Wednesday to start the second JoAnns test project – another Kiomi Top. I wore that first top twice and decided the armholes are most definitely too tight. This time, I cut the next size up. I also cut a narrower binding, intending to use those 1/4″ seams.
I tried it on after finishing the neck (I do like the narrower edge) and yep, the armholes are barely any bigger. I compared them to the Willow Tank (which is a much different shape) and cut a deeper armhole. And now the body just seems to gap. sigh. I’m glad this was only a $20 fail. and that I’ve learned a LOT in just seven garments. The first top was my third garment and I can already tell the difference in my confidence (and hopefully my abilities)!
A few of the folks who’ve made the Kiomi Dress talk about how the photos in the book don’t match the pattern. For starters, the neckband in the photos looks a lot wider than the 1/2″ of the pattern. And there isn’t any sizing information to know how much ease those models are wearing. I’ve decided this pattern just isn’t for me.
Which means I’m still looking for a pattern to use that beautiful Liberty print I bought last month. (and for someone laying low with a boot on her foot, that’s really not a bad problem to have!)
Wishing y’all a wonderful weekend!