That’s right, y’all – I finished the shorts! and I’m officially launching the Sewing category on mere-et-filles!
I’m going to wait until the top is finished to model them for you. But they fit – elastic is good that way 😉 – and I’m proud of how nice they look on the outside and the inside. I was also surprised how quickly the “actual sewing” was. I spent a few hours cutting the pieces, a few more hours researching seam finishing techniques*, half an hour practicing seams and the overlock stitch, and just a couple of hours sewing (even with having to rip and re-stitch the second hem twice).
There were a few moments this afternoon where the sewing felt comfortable, like something I knew how to do. But sewing clothes has changed a lot in the last 25 years (the patterns, the machines, the internet!) and my skills are rusty. Mostly I felt like an awkward newbie. Having a success under my belt is a huge boost for tackling another project…tomorrow!
The top is up next. It does have a few more new-to-me techniques (neck and armhole facings, interfacing, stay-stitching). Hopefully I’ll be ready to “actually sew” by lunch-time. If any of y’all have advice to share, please feel free!
* I debated about flat-felled or french seams for the sides and inseam. Kat shared this really helpful tutorial with me and recommended flat-felled. The woman at Purl Soho who cut this fabric said she always used french seams (instead of felled) because she had an old machine that couldn’t make that second seam (from the wrong side) look nice. I’m not so confident in my ability to stitch two 1/4″ seams, so I compromised: flat-felled, but I stitched the second seam from the right side.
The crotch seam was my biggest – and last (since I only decided to make the shorts on Tuesday when I realized I had enough fabric) decision. I didn’t think felled or french seams were appropriate because the seam is really curved. Turns out there are lots of opinions about finishing crotch seams (seriously pages of Google results!) and after reading through a dozen or so, I ended up with this one. My machine has an overlocking stitch – and after a bit of experimenting, I figured out a good stitch length and width to work with the linen.