…I’m fortunate – this has never been a problem for me. I really enjoy working out. really. pretty much everything about it. pushing myself and every so often being surprised by what I can do. getting into that zen place mid-way through a run where it’s all about the rhythm of my feet hitting the ground keeping time with my breathing. sore muscles telling me they did something new the day before. yep, all of that makes me happy (and strong) and I guess that’s really why I keep showing up, on average about six days a week, to exercise.
|from mapmyrun (see #4)|
absent that, this week Carole’s asked about sticking with it. here are ten things that might get me there…and keep me there:
1. workout with a friend.
2. or a trainer (or better yet, both!)
3. join a gym.
4. make a goal and log your progress (my goal is to run a half marathon mid-March at a 10-minute pace – I just started using mapmyrun; love this summary page that shows my total mileage and my average pace and there’s an app for my phone)
5. reward yourself periodically for doing it.
6. get the right equipment. shoes, bra, socks, water bottle. it feels better.
7. make appointments on your calendar. if you’re working out with a friend or a trainer, this is a no-brainer, but if it’s just you, having that time blocked off will make sure you have the time to do it.
8. find exercises that work for you. I don’t like cycling, or stairclimbing, but I’m fine with a treadmill. I much prefer free weights to machines. I love taking classes (that “trainer” aspect of having someone tell me what to do).
9. mix it up. different scenery. different muscles. different faces. keeps it interesting.