…today Carole asked us for our ten favorite holiday albums. I took it one step further and narrowed it down to my ten favorite songs. for 2012. I started the top 10 playlist back in 2007 when I first did Shimelle’s Journal Your Christmas (she had a prompt about christmas music). I had a longer list in 2010 and I made an 11 for 2011 list last year. but I’ve never really blogged about the list. til now. thanks Carole!
|the view from iTunes|
in no particular order (because – of course?! – I play it on shuffle):
1. White Christmas, by Bing himself. from his Merry Christmas album, the one where he’s sporting a Santa hat on the cover. I remember this one stacked right on top of Johnny Mathis on the phonograph when I was growing up.
2. Winter Wonderland, by Johnny Mathis. from his Merry Christmas album, the one where he’s sporting the ski attire.
3. Ave Maria, by Luciano Pavarotti. from O holy night (a CD I’ve purchased more than once). opera light for Christmas.
4. O Holy Night, by Celine Dion. from These Are Special Times. her voice is one of the few that can do this song justice.
5. Sleigh Ride, by Kenny G. from his Faith album (I also have Miracles and it’s just as good). thanks, I’m sure to the “new” Miracle on 34th Street, this one recalls New York City and twinkle lights.
6. River, by Sarah McLachlan, from Starbucks’ 2006 holiday album. not particularly happy for sure, but I love her voice and there’s something heart-pulling about the lyrics that I love.
I think those six songs have been on all my holiday playlists and I’d gladly listen to those six albums over and over (which I did today, just making sure).
and now the other four.