|from my journal, entry dated july 23, 2007|
I LOVE harry potter, but honestly, coming up with this list of ten things has been harder than I thought it would be. I was glad I found notes from july 2007 when I read the last book. those notes provided some of my loves. and reminded me about a favorite scene – the wedding between bill & fleur:
“…I declare you bonded for life”. The tufty-haired wizard waved his wand high over the heads of Bill & Fleur and a shower of silver stars fell upon them, spiraling around their now entwined figures. As Fred & George led a round of applause, the golden balloons overhead burst: birds of paradise and tiny golden bells flew and floated out of them, adding their songs and chimes to the din.
(ahhh. sigh. see number 10.)
1. the story is about all the great values – love, courage, friendship and I especially love the theme about the bond of love between parents and their children.
2. taken as one story, it’s something like 4,000 pages. long enough to tell a story and tell it well. the characters are well-developed and worth spending that much time with.
4. I love the books and I love the movies…. I can’t say that about very many books I’ve read, and certainly not about seven (or eight 🙂 of them!
5. the story appeals to all ages. my niece who was barely a teenager when the books first came out, my dad and I all rate these books as “best reads ever”.
6. a happy ending.
7. but many twists and turns and surprises along the way.
8. mrs. weasley is a knitter.
9. I haven’t yet seen the 6th or 7th movies. love having them to look forward to!
10. and looking forward to re-reading the books before I do – it’s been four years since I read the last one and I can tell from making this list…it’s time!